Bargain Shopping!

     6 days left before I fly off to a foreign country where I'd stay for more than 3 months...and I haven't even packed my bags yet. Typical me. 

     However, this time around, I have a rather acceptable excuse as to why I haven't bothered on packing my things yet. And that is: I have nothing to pack.

     All my life, I have lived in a tropical country. So my closet mostly contain of light-fabric clothes. But due to the fact that where I'm headed off to is Lutsen, Minnesota, there will be snow and the temperature is twice or thrice colder than the humid climate I have grown accustomed to. 

     I've been asking my parents to give me money so I can buy nice coats and jackets to wear to MN. But they find it useless to buy such apparel since I won't have any use of them after I get back to Manila. I was quite devastated, mind you. Especially because ZARA is on sale with their pretty winter coats and jackets (which they sell here in the country and it has always baffled me who buys them with regular price). 

     My mom said that if I insisted that I buy coats and jackets, then I should go look and shop at Ukay-Ukay stores. 

     I wanted to be angry at the thought of buying used and outdated clothes...but it seemed like a nice and practical idea considering my other option (which was to ask around and borrow clothes from my friends and relatives). 

     So, I asked my shopping buddies (a.k.a. sisters) and Pachig to accompany me on a shopping trip at Pasay Road

      There are so many ukay-ukay stores everywhere nowadays buy I insisted that we go there specifically because I know for a fact that one of my childhood friend and co-blogger of http://kimpoysnotes.blogspot.com/ is an aficionado of bargain shopping there. So, I braved to go there - an unfamiliar place. 

       My sisters and I were beyond happy with all the things we saw and bought. Especially me since I was able to buy the clothes that I needed to buy...and all for a very low price!

Here are my purchases: 

Loose purple cover-up with floral lining: Php 50 

Rosette satin cover-up: Php 300 

Sequined vest: Php 280

Cream and Black dress: Php 180

Black parka/jacket: Php 300 

Purple parka/jackey: Php 50 
     I have never bought so many pieces of clothing in one shopping trip. But considering their prices, it's really okay! ♥ I am now a fan of ukay-ukay shopping. 

      I'm not an expert on this kind of shopping or anything. However, I'd like to share a few common tips when you go shopping at ukay-ukay stores:

  • Haggle - Don't be shy to ask the sales lady or cashier person for the "last price". The things with ukay-ukay is that the clothes do not have price tags - the sales people tell you the price. Once they say the price, subtract up to at least half the price and go up a little since they surely won't allow you to purchase it with very low price. Go up and up until you are halfway through the original price. The sales people will somehow and eventually agree to a price you named. Just be patient! 
  • Check for damages - Keep in mind that most of the clothes sold in ukay-ukay are used. So don't forget to check if the zippers are working, the buttons are complete and there are no unremovable stains on it. The store only has one piece per clothing...so if it's damaged, they can't replace yours with a new one. 
  • Re-check - Before you pay, re-check for damages again. It's better safe than sorry! 
  • Wash thoroughly - As I've said, the clothes are used mostly. You don't and never will know who the clothes once belonged to. I'm not saying that they may have skin problems or odor problems (although it most likely is possible), but it's really better safe than sorry. You don't want to itch to death because there are mites and such attached to the fabric of the clothes. Have them dry cleaned or wash them thoroughly in warm/hot water to sterilize them. 
     There you have it. I had such a fun day! I hope you did too.

     A. 



No comments:

Post a Comment