Bicycle

     Ever since I was born, I never learned how to ride a bicycle... without the training wheels. 2 thin wheels holding me just doesn't sound right to me. So, I never bothered to learn out of my 22 years of existence in this world.

     However, upon my arrival here in the US, everyone (and I literally mean everyone) I know have been telling me to "Go buy a bike!". 

     I'd love to, you know. Except for one little problem: I do not know how to ride a bike

    To them, this incapability is preposterous. Everyone here knows how to ride a two-wheeled vehicle. Except me. 

     In my defense, where I'm from, it's not safe to go biking. At least, not in my neighborhood. So why will I put my life in peril?

     But evidently, here in Sunshine State, bicycles are part of people's daily lives. I'm not surprised, though. The streets have their own bike lanes (we don't have that in my country), the view is spectacular (you wouldn't want to miss it by hiding inside your car), the weather is perfect for biking and my most hated reason: there's no public transportation!!! 

     So it's either you have a car or you walk for more than an hour just to get to places. Period. 

     That's why the other day, as I came home from work, I asked our Thai house mates to teach me how to ride a bicycle. It's against my pride and belief but what the heck... I don't want to walk to and from work for more than an hour every day! So up the bike I go. 

     After just 10 minutes, I was finally able to learn how to ride a bike on my own - sans the training wheels! I am not bragging, I am just proud of my achievement. The Thais said I was a good student because I learned quickly despite my fear of falling off and scraping my skin on the pavement. 

     My only issue now is I don't have a bike. I searched for a pretty one at Walmart's website and I found 2 that I like... Now I just need the time and someone to accompany me on buying one. 

     Wish me luck! I hope I don't fall off and get reprimanded for not wearing a helmet - I have no intentions on buying and wearing one! That's just unfashionable

     Hope you had something you achieved this week! :) 

     No matter how hard life is, always have faith. ♥

     A. 





No comments:

Post a Comment