Online Shopping's Unspoken Rules

     All of us have tried online shopping, have we not? I've personally only done it twice. And in one of those cases, my order did not arrive for almost 3 weeks. I admit, I panicked. I've paid 3 weeks ago and the store does not bother to reply to any of my 2 messages. When the package arrived, I was devastated to see that the garment I ordered was far too small for me -- even if I ordered the medium sized one already. 

     But that did NOT give me any right, whatsoever, to demand a refund. Why? Because the product I ordered was made-to-order. It was made especially for me. 

     Since I am a co-owner of a small online store myself, I know how it would feel to be bombarded with demanding messages, discount privileges, deadline pressures and the such. It's part of it all. It is our duty to create and give our customers their orders according to how they want it and when they want it. 

     However, on an online shopping transaction, keep in mind that there is a minimum of 2 people involved - the online store and the customer. As an online store owner, I know where we stand and how we should react to certain situations. 

     You guys, as customers: please keep in mind that you have rights but also have limits. 

     RIGHTS:
  • You have the right to ask many questions (When will the package arrive? Where will I pay? Where will I place my order? How long will it take you to make it? Are these still available? What other colors are there? Do you have discounts for wholesale buying? Etc.) 
  • You have the right to be annoying and nagging when it comes to asking questions and following up orders. 
  • You have a right to rate us badly according to how you see our services to you. But please be fair when doing so. Permanently damaging our store's name on your account will do no good to both parties. 
     LIMITS: 
  • You have no right to demand
           - As an online store, we make sure that we talk to you and respond to your messages ASAP. But keep in mind that you are not the only customer on who's orders we are working on. If we can't meet with the said date as to when we'd finish it, we ask for an extension and ask for a delay. Please be considerate and do not demand and bombard us with threats. 
  • You have no right to be inconsiderate.
           - When we ask for an extension, please be considerate. It is hard for us to admit that we are delayed and cannot meet to your demands but we gathered courage and decency to inform you about our fault. Do not threat us with pulling out your orders especially if they're Made-To-Order (MTO) products and we have already started making your orders. 
  • You have no right to demand for refunds
          - Yes you have a right for refunds. But the cases are different: for MTO products, there is absolutely NO REFUNDS. If the product is damaged when it arrived to you, there is a 50% to full refund. However, when the product arrived to you in good condition and the product got damaged after you handled it, you have NO right to demand for refund. Consider it a warranty void once you handled the product already and it go damaged. 


      There you go, ladies. This applies to all of us. Let's keep in mind how our actions and words affect one another. Do not think that since you paid for our services and products, you have the right to bully us around and demand for all kinds of things. 

     In online shopping, the motto "Customer Is Always Right" does not apply at all times. 

     A friendly reminder from an online store owner and customer,

     A. 

No comments:

Post a Comment